In Virtual reality news
September 1, 2021 – iQIYI Inc., an online entertainment and video service based in China, has recently launched its latest flagship virtual reality (VR) headset, the ‘QIYU 3’, as the company wants to further strengthen its entertainment ecosystem premium digital VR. The launch marks another company based in China that could try to take a bite out of Facebook’s share of the standalone VR device market, even with the name of the new iQIYI headphones (QIYU 3 or 奇遇 3 in Chinese, which translates as “Adventure 3”) similar to the oculus Search Mark.
The QIYU 3 product launch event, which was streamed live to millions of viewers using extended reality (XR) technology that turned an empty broadcast room into a virtual space full of cyberpunk elements, went show the features of QIYU 3 and unveiled a number of free games for the device.
As the company’s VR reference product, the features of the QIYU 3 headphones include:
- A dual screen design consisting of two RGB LCD screens that give the device a resolution of 4320 * 2160 and a real level of 4K + in native resolution. The refresh rate can also reach 90Hz with the support of two integrated display controller chips, according to iQIYI;
- Developed by Qualcomm Technologies’ Snapdragon XR2 platform, designed exclusively for VR / AR;
- 8 GB DDR4 RAM;
- A QD Light proprietary 6DoF interactive system that allows 6DoF spatial positioning of the hand and millimeter-level positioning accuracy for controllers;
- QIYU 3 is supported by a continuous pupillary distance adjustment technology with an indication accuracy of up to 1 mm. The pupillary distance can be adjusted from 58 mm to 72 mm;
- QIYU 3 also includes future iQUT cinema, which the company claims “provides users with a 2,000-inch screen, equivalent to the size of 20 80-inch TVs.”
- QIYU 3 will also be able to offer a wide range of the latest movies and TV shows while taking advantage of iQIYI’s massive content library. In addition, iQIYI will provide QIYU 3 with 4K 3D movies and 8K videos at 60 fps with a bit rate of 13M, according to the company.
Commenting on the launch, Xiong Wen, CEO of iQIYI’s iQIYI VR Intelligence subsidiary, said: “Our mission is to create a virtual world of unlimited possibilities for our users. We still have a long way to go and QIYU 3 is a good start ”.
First-time buyers of the QIYU 3 device, which the company claims is a device “designed for avid gamers,” will receive 30 free premium games. QIYU VR also plans to deliver free premium games to QIYU 3 users every month.
The first games of the new VR headset cover a variety of genres, including entertainment, shooting, and puzzle games, with other popular VR titles such as Arizona Sunshine, Swarm, Mercenary: Silicon Rising, Zombieland: Headshot Fever, and All- In-One Sports VR is also available on the QIYU 3.
The event also unveiled content other than VR games, including an interactive virtual reality science fiction drama titled ‘Metaverse’, which was co-produced by QIYU VR and the School of Animation and Digital Arts of the University of Communication of China. QIYU VR has also developed a production of virtual stages, “QIYU Show”, where users can see the performance and interact with their favorite virtual idols.
The QIYU 3 will be available on China’s leading e-commerce platforms, JD.com and Tmall, starting September 3rd. . Existing QIYU users and iQIYI subscribers will also be able to enjoy special benefits for members only.
In recent years, iQIYI has made significant investments in building a virtual reality ecosystem. Since entering the field of virtual reality in 2016, QIYU VR has launched four products, such as Qiyu 2Pro VR device. Looking to the future, iQIYI says it will invest more in content, platforms and hardware as it moves forward to further establish its position in the virtual reality industry.
To learn more about iQIYI and its virtual reality offerings, visit the company website.
Image credit: iQIYI