The following text is an advertising article that was not written by Cryptonews.com reporters.
“Metaverse” may seem like an exotic term, but not for long. In the near future, we will all interact, work, dance, data (and sometimes shoot at the bad guys) in an incredible hybrid space at the intersection of the latest technologies, from virtual reality to the blockchain.
“Meta” means “beyond” in Greek. The word metaverse first appeared in the cult novel by Neal Stephenson Snow Crash, which came out in 1992. In the novel, people spend all their time in a virtual space interacting as “avatars” in 3D. They frequent 3D bars and clubs, do business, and so on. The metaverse of the novel is a kind of web 2.0 (by the way, the Internet had already existed for ten years when Snow Crash was published).
Stephenson’s idea was not unique: similar concepts of alternative virtual universes appeared many times in the cyberpunk community of the late ’80s and early’ 90s. But it was the memorable word metavers that caught on.
Now, almost thirty years later, we are finally witnessing the birth of metaverse, not in a science fiction book, but in reality. Some of the key participants acknowledge that they were inspired by the idea of Neal Stephenson: for example, the lead developer of Oculus VR Michael Abrash at some point to capture this concept in the iconic multiplayer shooter Earthquake.
The 7 basic technologies of the metaverse
The metaverse is a hybrid reality that goes beyond our physical world and the virtual world. It is not an imaginary space, like that of The Matrix, but an intricate nexus that produces a powerful synergy. The development of the metaverse is based on several pioneering technologies.
1) VR / AR / XR
Although virtual reality (virtual reality) plays a key role, augmented and mixed reality are also very important for the metaverse, for two reasons:
- The number of VR headset owners is still low, so metaverse projects need to ensure cross-platform support if they want to attract a wide audience, and AR is already compatible with most new smartphones.
- Current models of VR headsets are not always suitable for spending a lot of time in the virtual world: after a while, some users begin to feel fatigue and discomfort.
Multiplayer virtual reality requires very fast data transfers and WiFi just won’t do the trick. With 4G, we got used to watching YouTube videos on the bus; and with the advent of 5G, it will become just as normal to connect to an RV meeting while commuting to work, for example.
This technology allows users to access RV content directly in the browser without installing any heavy applications. Google, Oculus and Microsoft have proven to be compatible with WebVR. Without this tool it would be difficult to implement a large-scale metaverse. WebVR, on the other hand, needs 5G: without fast internet, web apps tend to lag behind and freeze.
You can buy goods and services on metavers as easily as you do now on social media. The difference is that these goods will be mostly virtual: clothes for avatars, for example. Most payments will be made in tokens as a more ‘virtual’ type of money. For example, the file Sensorium Galaxy the digital metaverse is already implementing a native one SENSE the testimonial as a way to pay for tickets for virtual concerts, avatars and accessories, etc.
The metaverse will be completed not only with actual user avatars, but also with computer-generated NPCs (non-playing characters). Aside from functioning as a crowd in the background, they will be able to maintain a simple chat thanks to a special machine learning algorithm that feeds them. And the more advanced these artificial intelligence algorithms are, the more natural and complex the behavior of NPCs will be. For example, Sensorium Galaxy NPCs talk and act so realistically that you can even date them.
6) Game engines
The 3D graphics of major VR projects are done with the same engines as the best computer games. The best known is Unreal Engine from Epic Games, the studio behind Fortnite. Its technology allows you to obtain realistic textures, lighting and everything you need to create an illusion of presence.
7) Motion tracking
As users undertake increasingly complex VR activities, their avatars must repeat the movement accurately, right down to the movements of their fingers. Dance, sports, drawing, music: all of these activities require tracking many points on this body, and that means using many sensors or more advanced technology.
Accurate motion tracking will also help eliminate physical and psychological discomfort when wearing VR headsets for a long time.
What can you do in digital metaverse?
Simply put, anything you like! And while you can’t eat or drink in the virtual space, there’s nothing stopping you from sitting down for a cocktail and chatting (or even flirting) with an attractive avatar. By the way, this is how dating on a star spacecraft in Sensorium Galaxy works (see
mobile app teaser).
Here are some of the possible activities, and several RV teams are already working on many of them:
- Concerts by famous musicians (with the performer present as an avatar);
- Nightclubs and discos;
- Sports, both amateur and competition. This type of activity is more difficult to implement, as it requires precise movement tracking and zero lag between the movements of the physical body and those of the avatar. But this question will also surely be resolved in the future;
- Movies: Think about the special effects you can add to the experience of watching a movie in a virtual space;
- Theater and performances;
- Meeting with friends and family who live far away. This is much better than video calling, although ideally you’ll need hyper-realistic avatars that look exactly like real people (Avatar Codec is a project working on this);
- Business meetings, negotiations and conferences;
- Fairs and product presentations;
- Museums and art galleries, as well as creating new works, such as virtual street art;
- Shopping: An avatar needs a lot to live comfortably: a closet, accommodation, means of transport, etc. And because the metaverse is not bound by the physical laws of our world, a house can float in the air and could move. around riding a dragon;
- Advertising: Marketing specialists can have a field day on the metaverse. It has unlimited space to place billboards, sponsorship offers, public relations events, and more.
A metaverse or many?
Just as the history of aviation began with several independent inventors and their aircraft, the era of metaverses will probably begin with several independent platforms. The next step will be to develop a way to move between metaverses without removing the virtual reality headphones. In the WebVR community this is called deep link, as an analogy with deep links that allow users to access one application from another.
Another interesting concept is the “VR backpacks”: a way to transport objects from one virtual space to another. The idea is for your avatar’s clothes and other belongings to move you when you teleport to another metaverse. It makes sense: once you spend real money on artifacts built into the platform, you want to be able to use them all the time. Backpacks will likely use NFT (non-fungible token) technology: these are special block chain tokens that encode unique digital objects.
However, the file ultimate goal is to combine all the metaverses into one. You could describe it as a virtual universe made up of galaxies created by different developers. Some of them will be realistic, while others will be cartoon; some will explore futuristic themes, while others will have fantasy environments and plots similar to The Lord of the Rings. Some will serve as spaces for business or research and others will be dedicated to entertainment. This variety is what gives the metavers enormous potential.
The two metaverses you can experience right now
In December 2019, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney was asked on Twitter if he thinks Fortnite is a platform game. Seva answer was cryptic: ‘Fortnite is a game. But please ask that question again in twelve months. “
In fact, although Fortnite does not use VR (yet), it has many other features of a metaverse, for example:
– In April 2020, Fortnite hosted a virtual concert by famed hip hop artist Travis Scott, who performed it as an avatar;
– On the occasion of the release of the latest Star Wars movie, there was a presentation attended by director JJ Abrams (as an avatar) and even Emperor Palpatine himself;
– Players spend hundreds of millions of dollars each year on buying game items with the internal currency, V-answers;
– The game features a multitude of sponsored integrations, mostly as skins of celebrities, movie characters, and even characters from other computer games;
– Movie and full movie trailers are already playing on Fortnite;
– In addition to shooting enemies, players spend a lot of time hanging out.
Sensorium Galaxy is a digital metaverse in the full sense of the word, with many exotic worlds and an active use of virtual reality. Developers are betting on very realistic 3D graphics (made with Unreal Engine) and advanced AI that powers NPCs.
It is worth mentioning that Sensorium Galaxy is a cross-platform solution, so those who do not have Oculus headphones will be able to continue interacting with other avatars, buy avatars with SENSO tokens, etc.
The first world to be launched, in a few months, is called PRISM (see video teaser). The main theme is electronic music: Sensorium Galaxy has already signed contracts with several famous artists, including David Guetta (the list can be found here). You can watch their concerts in VR clubs in other countries using a computer or, better yet, teleport to the club using a VR headset to experience the concert along with other avatars.
The second world is MOTION, dedicated to mindfulness and located underwater. You can see the very detailed trailer here.
The main way to pay for concert tickets, avatar accessories, merchandise signed by musicians and other premium content are native SENSO tokens. They offer a 20% discount on the full price (i.e. the price you will pay if you use a bank card). SENSE it is already available in several cryptographic exchanges: KuCoin, Poloniex, Bittrex, etc.
The metaverse is not a futuristic theory or prediction: it is our imminent future. The arrival of metaverses will produce a grand transformation in society, similar to the impact of the Internet. And knowing that we will be direct participants in this transformation is infinitely exciting.